yoga80 Student Highlight: Luis Gutierrez
What is your idea of the perfect yoga practice?
I like to start in Lotus and take a few minutes to clear my mind. From there I move into Child’s pose to really focus on the breath and completely let go. I really enjoy Reegan’s A and B sets that she teaches to warm up so I do those a couple of times each. From there I like to have a balance between heart and hip opening poses. Lately I’m trying to practice poses I have issues with like Trikonasana or “tricky – asana” which is just what I call it because that’s what it is for me. I like to throw in a couple of arm balances and inversions here and there. My practice always changes depending on how I feel that day but I always like to end it back where I started with a prayer in Lotus after Savasana.
What do you like most about yoga?
Yoga, in a way, forces me to be in the present moment so that my mind isn’t cluttered with thoughts about anything other than what I’m doing right now. I also feel that Yoga is a very selfless practice. I don’t know many things you can walk into thinking, “I’m going to calm my mind and create this powerful energy so that I may be a better person for the people around me.” That’s the way I feel about it..
What pose or practice do you do daily?
I recently added Koundinyasana II to my practice which is really exciting. I’m slowly working into an inversion from that but I can’t remember either name for it. Maybe if I get the names right I’ll be able to pull it off! haha!
- Savasana Song- “J’Arrive A La Ville” by Lhasa de la Sela… Introduced to me by Will at Mystic Water.
- Yoga Pants-I’ve been rocking the Rusty boardshorts lately and I like them
- Sports Bra-Do I need one?
- Yoga Mat- bright lime green mat from Yoga80
- Yoga Towel- bright lime green Yogitoes from Yoga80
- Color- Blue…but green is a close second
- Flower- Red Lotus – signifies the original nature and purity of the heart : )
- Vegetable-Broccoli… Don’t know why it makes me smile but it does
- Fruit- Pineapple all day